Saudi-led air raids in Yemen kill 21 two days into truce

13 Jul 2015   Saudi Arabia, Yemen

Saudi-led air raids killed 21 civilians in Yemen’s capital Sanaa on Monday morning, relatives of the victims and medics told Reuters, two days after the start of a United Nations-brokered humanitarian truce that Riyadh does not recognize. “Three missiles targeted the neighborhood, destroying 15 houses and killing 21 people and wounding 45 others,” said a resident. A Saudi-led Arab coalition has been bombing the Houthi militia and army forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh since March 26, aiming to push them back from southern and central areas and restore the country’s exiled government. The Houthis, who are allied to Riyadh’s main regional rival Iran, advanced from their northern stronghold a year ago, capturing the capital Sanaa in September and then pushing south early this year, prompting the Saudi-led airstrikes. More than 3,000 people have been killed in the fighting and air strikes so far, amplifying an existing […]

Comments are closed.