Largest Libyan Oilfield Back Online After Armed Assault

9 Sep 2017   Libya

Libya’s largest oilfield is now fully operational following a couple of weeks of output turbulence, according to UPI , who received official confirmation of the oilfield’s operational status from Austrian energy firm, OMV. The “irregularities” had been caused by “gangsters,” said Mustafa Sanalla, head of Libya’s National Oil Corp. In late August, the assaults by the armed group Reyayna Patrol Brigade had forced some of the pipelines connected to the Sharara field to be shut down. The ordeal cost $160 million in lost production after 360,000 barrels of output got shut in. Libyan output fell from 990,000 bpd in July to 830,000 bpd in August due to the pipeline closures. “After some short-term irregularities production is back to normal,” a spokesman for Austrian OMV told UPI. Reuters reported on Monday that foreign workers at Libya’s largest oil field bad been evacuated after news emerged of unspecified activities near the […]

Comments are closed.